Recognizing a need for services for travelers, E. F. Boydston began in 1927 to develop his "Texas Plaza." He built a wooden shed and gas station, and offered camping spaces with fire pits for overnight stays. By 1930 Boydston had added three wooden cabins with garages. Eight years later he covered the exterior of all the buildings with chunks of petrified wood. More cabins with garages were added in 1935.